Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My Mothers Kitchen


My mother’s kitchen:
I watch eyes wide as she stands over the oven
Mixing and pouring ingredient with an unreadable name
Her hands constantly running over her forehead clearing any trace of work
The intoxicating smells found its way beneath my nose giving me a sent I only crave more of
But I don’t dare to take a step forward
Afraid of interfering her routine
So I stand and watch
Pots boil
The oven rumbles
Microwave beeps fill the room
As my mother fights with the oven to work faster
I shifted my position not being able to hear her voice in such a tone
Salt rolled off her fingertips as her hand was raised high over the pot
Careful cuts are made on the green and vegetables
A big kitchen knife in my mother’s small hands seemed alien like
She cooks and cooks much more food than needed
And in the end I’ll be right about only one thing,
There is going to be more food left over then eaten. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice idea.

    I'd shorten this up (I know, I'm a broken record).

    The first line I'd get rid of is "microwave beeps" it seems intrusive in a not-good way.

    ReplyDelete